Sunday 1 October 2023

MODERN: BOROS BURN

CONTEMPORARY NOOK
Anonas, Quezon City
Modern Friday
15 September 2023

RD 1 BG Yawgmoth Combo loss
RD 2 Rakdos Scam loss
RD 3 did not play

RD 1
I won game one. I could have won game two but because I aimed all my bolts at his creatures, I didn't. I lost game three because I did not expect Chalice of the Void (for one) from this kind of deck. I had no way of dealing with it due to all my artifact-hates were in the sideboard. 

RD 2
In both games, the opponent had early strong moves. Game one: turn two Fury plus Not Dead After All wiped my mini red army of Goblin Guide and Monastery Swiftspear. Game two: same duo but this time it was executed in his turn one. Lightning Bolt spells were powerless to stop that 4/4 double-strike red MH elemental creature. 

RD 3
There were only eight players. So three rounds. I had to choose between play the last round but I won't be able to catch the last train. Or forget the last round because I am 0-2 anyway and catch the last train. I opt for the latter.   



REGRAN 
Quezon City
Regional Championship Qualifier
24 September 2023

I finished the eliminations with a 5-1-1 mark, second. 

Decks that I beat: UB Control, Mono Black Control, 5c Creativity, BG Yawgmoth, and a bye. My losses: Grix Control and Scam (Quarters). 

Here are some of the things that I can still recall from the seven-round ordeal. 

Round 1 was bye, sweet! 

Turn one Ragavan. Swing the red monkey by turn two. Assuming it hits, it gives a treasure token. In my second main phase, drop a two land - now I have three lands. Then fire three bolts to the opponent.

Since I got paired to decks that have splash black in them, this is how I sideboard: I always remove -4 Guides and -4 Monkey. This is because I anticipated a ton of spot removals for my team. 

Also, those splash-black decks had this single life-gain tech-card. I can remember two, they either had a Cling to Dust or a Virtue of Persistence. Whatever they have for you, Skullcrack is going to be your best friend in this game-one cornerstone situation.   

Hallowed Moonlight was the MVP versus Creativity

If it's game three and you're on the play against a deck that has a possibility of having a turn one Grief or Fury, and in your opening hand you have a one-drop creature and a Lightning Bolt, I suggest you do not summon the creature yet.  

Searing Blaze: Retrieving a land off a fetchland during any phase of your opponent's turn is also considered your landfall for the turn.  

Here are the misplays (I think): (i) I forgot to take out Searing Blazes versus Mono Black Control. (ii) I did not fetch for an early Sacred Foundry. And the next two lands that I got were an Islet and a Mountain. I had two Boros Charms sitting in my hand and the opponent then was down to seven. And (iii) I got impatient and did not think that they had a main deck life gain shinanigans for me. 
 
The Quarter-Final
Game three: The opponent was down to three. On his table, he had this army headed by Fury, a Bow Master, and a zombie token. While my hand: two Searing Blazes. I had two lands (Islet and Sunbaked) on the table and my life point total was down to eight. All I needed to win was either any type of land or any burn spell that had one or two casting costs on it. But alas, the deck gave another Searing Blaze. Good game. 



MOX and LOTUS PH
Magallanes, Makati City
100k Win-a-Mox event
30 September 2023

Everything is from memory because I did not use pen and paper to track things down from the event.

I had a lot of greedy moments. Stuff like firing my bolt spells at my opponent instead of some of their key creatures. Fetching a shockland in front of a deck that has Lightning Bolt too. And not saving enough mana for sideboard cards. 

Meta: Beanstalk, Rakdos variant (scam and mid-range), and Tron were the rampant decks.

Anyway, seventy-five is here in case you're interested. Enjoy.
SONOGEN
Paeng_Paeng 

Main deck
3 Mountain, 1 Fiery Islet, 4 Sunbaked Canyon, 4 Arid Mesa, 2 Scalding Tarn, 3 Wooded Foothills, 3 Sacred Foundry, 4 Goblin Guide, 4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer, 4 Monastery Swiftspear, 4 Lightning Bolt, 4 Lava Spike, 4 Rift Bolt, 4 Skewer the Critics, 4 Boros Charm, 4 Skullcrack, and 4 Searing Blaze 

Sideboard
3 Deflecting Palm, 3 Smash to Smithereens, 3 Roiling Vortex, 2 Path to Exile, 2 Wear/Tear, and 2 Hallowed Moonlight


One more thing, always bolt the bird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment