Sunday 7 March 2021

MODERN: White Green Death and Taxes


It has been seven months since my last tournament report post on this blog page. Back then I assumed that in-store events will begin to normalize by 2022, at best. But I was wrong. They slowly returned to the scene as early as late October 2020. And with that, I will be needing this page again because, unlike my MTGO or untap.in games where I can share them by uploading to my Youtube,  it is through this avenue where I can share my experiences from playing in an in-store event. So without further ado, for my first event report post for 2021, here it is. 

Kick Engines's Discord Online Modern Tournament
20 February 2021 

RD 1: Mono W Eldrazi Taxes 2-1 
RD 2: UR Prowess 2-0
RD 3: GB Yawgmoth Combo 2-1
RD 4: Eldrazi Tron 2-0
RD 5: UR Prowess L 
Q: GB Yawgmoth Combo 1-2

 
versus Mono W Eldrazi Taxes 
I lost game one because I decided to keep a hand that had one green-white mana source, a Brushland. I never got to draw another green-white source. I won the next two games. Game two's MVPs were the defensive trio: Skyclave Apparition and (vial-in) Flickerwisp / (summoned) Restoration Angel. The same thing happened on game three, only this time it was the duo of Apparition and Wisp that took care of most of the opponent's offensive threats. I also like the tag-team interaction of Leonin Arbiter and Winds of Abandon, permanently removing a creature without giving him any land. Sweet. 

versus UR Prowess 
Game one: I cast a Chalice of the Void (for one counter) on my third turn followed by an Archon of Emeria on my next turn. I thought I had the game in check until he was able to summon a  Bedlam Reveler and a Stormwing Entity. I was able to regain control of the game when I topdecked a Knight of Autumn and a Restoration Angel giving me another eight life points cushion. He only had one flying while I had three which was enough for me to win the game. 

Game two went like this: Turn one Deafening Silence. Turn two Celestial Purged his Soul-Scar Mage. Turn three Knight of Autumn. Turn four Chalice of the Void (for one). Four (or five) turns later, I topdecked a Restoration Angel. Blinked the green-white knight for a beanbag of life. Win.


versus GB Yawgmoth Combo
I committed a grave misplay in game one. It happened on the opponent's last end of turn. I had an active vial on two and four green white lands. I tapped Aether Vial - brought down Scavenging Ooze. Then, still the same end of his turn, I summoned Restoration Angel. While the angel was still on the stack, this is where he responded with a Chord of Calling fetching Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. His combo went online immediately when the black physician hit the table. Off to game two we go.  

Game two: I had an early Rest in Peace out on the table but I think the opponent was not that concerned with it because he was taking the Hapatra, Vizier of Poison route. By the time he had a pit of 1/1  deathtouch snakes, plus a couple of Strangleroot Geists without any counters on them, Winds of Abandon single-handedly wiped them all. From there the opponent was not able to recover. 

Game three: Chalice of the Void for one, Rest in Peace, Aven Mindcensor, and Archon of Emeria dictated the tempo of the game. Win. 

versus Eldrazi Tron 
Game one: I had two early Ghost Quarters to stop him from ramping his mana count. But he kept on dropping lands to the point he managed to get enough lands and cast All is Dust. Good thing Aether Vial (which at that point it had three counters on it) is a colorless permanent. At the end of his turn, I brought down flying creatures, a vialed-in an Archon of Emeria, and summoned a flash Aven Mindcensor. Then swung for lethal on my turn.

Game two: My second turn: second land (Ghost Quarter) into Leonin Arbiter. His third turn, Pithing Needle naming Ghost Quarter. I summoned a Knight of Autumn on my third turn to destroy the needle. Drew my second Ghost Quarter on my fourth turn and did not hesitate to smash two of his non-basic lands, Eldrazi Temple and an Urza's Tower. Archon of Emeria, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, and Flickerwisp joined the party turns later. 


versus UR Prowess
I did not get to draw any hate cards. 

Q: versus GB Yawgmoth Combo
Game three: He had answers to whatever hate I bring to the table. He won the game through his Yawgmoth combo. 

Right after the match, just as we were deboarding, the opponent asked why I did not search for basic lands (from the Assassin's Trophies). I got a little frustrated upon hearing it because the lands off the Assassin's Trophies could have helped hasten my movements. So I told him that it is the owner of the card's responsibility to convey to the opposing player the effects of the card. His defense was "but there's this 'may search clause'  that is why I did not say a thing" which, to me, is not a good one. 

Alright people that is all. Stay safe always and thank you for reading! 

Paeng_Paeng


For MTG calendar of activities, here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment