Sunday 18 November 2018

NOVEMBER 2018: MTG Vintage with Christmas Beatings


18 November 2018
Vintage Tournament
Cedric’s Boardgame Cafe

While doing an inventory of my Magic the Gathering card pool, I get to see again that blue enchantment card that I used to abuse - Standstill. The card brings a lot of vintage and legacy memories. And speaking of vintage, if am not mistaken, the last time I was playing it was more than a decade ago, in the Mondu Vintage Magic Tournament which was hosted by the Ongkeco Hobby Shop. Reminiscing those fun vintage days somehow ignited a part of me to play the format again.

I soon found out that the next Vintage Tournament will take place on the 18th of November at Cedric's Cafe, Quezon City. Now that the date and venue are known, my next step was to update myself of the current rules concerning the format - from the banned and restricted cards to Cedric's governing set of rules. And finally, deck construction.  



Looking at my modern dominated card pool, I can only have either a Burn variant deck or an aggro GRw base deck. I did a quick web check of the current vintage meta and picking latter over the former, I think and hope so, is the correct call. But there was one problem, I immediately realized that I do not have the appropriate dual lands anymore. So I decided to go two-color aggro deck. To help me decide, I consulted the world wide web again and rediscovered Stephen Menendian's Christmas Beatings. His list served as my skeletal frame work for my RG list. After a handful of shadow testings and adjustments, I settled with this seventy-five.

Christmas Beatings 2018
Paeng Paeng

Main Deck
1 Stomping Grounds 
1 Wasteland
1 Strip Mine
1 Mountain
1 Forest
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
4 Taiga

1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Black Lotus
3 Skullclamp
4 Aether Vial
4 Lightning Bolt

1 Grim Lavamancer
2 Viridian Zealot
2 Stingscouger
2 Scavenging Ooze
3 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Magus of the Moon
4 Tin Street Hooligan
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Kird Ape
4 Tarmogoyf

Sideboard
3 Red Elemental Blast
4 Seal of Primordium
4 Faerie Macabre
2 Pyrostatic Pillar
2 Ancient Grudge



The Friday (16 November 2018) before the event, I was told that my presence is a must for the Sunday errand. I checked the remaining 2018 tournaments for any vintage. So far, the modern event on December 15th will vintage is one of its side event. I am not sure if it is the last vintage tournament in Manila for 2018, but I hope I'll not miss the train this time. 

Thanks for reading! 

Paeng 4983

No comments:

Post a Comment