Sunday 20 May 2018

MAY 2018: Modern Jund


I started playing BGx consecutively just this March 31st. Sadly, I only collected five wins out of fourteen games (.357) - but this does not discourage me to go back to any of my modern decks. So for my next tournament, I gave myself another shot with BGx and here's my seventy-five.

Jund 
Main
4 Wooded Foothills, 4 Bloodstained Mire, 3 Overgrown Tomb, 3 Blood Crypt, 2 Sacred Ground, 2 Swamp, 2 Forest, 1 Treetop Village, 2 Raging Ravine, 1 Llanowar Waste

4 Tarmogoyf, 3 Bloodbraid Elf, 4 Dark Confidant, 3 Scavenging Ooze, 1 Kalitas Traitor of Ghet

4 Lightning Bolt, 2 Dreadbore, 2 Terminate, 
1 Nihil Spellbomb, 3 Thoughtseize, 3 Inquisition of Kozilek, 3 Abrupt Decay, 2 Maelstrom Pulse, 1 Kolaghan's Command

Sideboard   
1 Thrun, the Last Troll, 1 Kitchen Finks, 2 Obstinate Baloth, 1 Surgical Extraction, 2 Graftdigger Cage, 2 Ancient Grudge, 1 Pithing Needle, 2 Damping Sphere, 2 Anger of the Gods, 1 Ratchet Bomb


Holiday Monday Modern
Madcap Gaming 
San Pedro, Laguna
14 May 2018

Mono Black Control 1-2
Mono Green Aggro 1-2
UR prowess 2-1
UR Eldrazi 0-2
(1-3 .250) (4-7 .364)

Most of my nine losses were from self-inflicted wounds: Thoughtseize, Dark Confidant trigger, and fetch into a shockland. In my desperate attempt to lessen these kind of damage, I followed what the stocklist says: include three copies of Scavenging Ooze. And to help me combat life loss further, I added Kalitas into the party.

Notes:
(A) Removal should be in this order: (i) try to out muscle his troop; then (ii) sorcery removal first; before using those (iii) instant removals. 

(B) I had a game (against UR Prowess) wherein the lands in my opening seven were: Overgrown Tomb, fetch, and a Raging Ravine. I started with a ravine and pass. I untapped, draw: Inquisition of Kozilek, dropped the fetchland crack it for a Swamp into Kozilek. Looking back at it, I think I should have dropped the BG shockland instead of the RG manland. 

(C) Always RTFC. Also, made some bad decisions without analyzing the effect afterwards.  

(D) Kalitas Traitor of Ghet is great because: (i) gives cushion; and (ii) creates defender in the form of a 2/2 black zombie token.

(E) There were times that I hesitated in firing my removals at his creature. 

(F) There's this one game that I forgot to bring in the sideboard cards for this specific match, and it caused me the game.

(G) The life points that I gained from kalitas and ooze gave enough breathing room for me to win the game.

Thanks for reading folks! 

-Paeng4983

No comments:

Post a Comment