Tuesday 10 May 2016

May: The Epic Storm, sad panda

Six more months to go before Grand Prix Chiba, and here I am busy with modern and other stuff. The last time I played TES was on 20th March at Kick Engines (Cubao Expo, Cubao, Quezon City). I was hoping then that I could play in their April and May events as part of my preparation for the 2016 Asian GP legacy but due to my personal errands, I was not. Good thing that ARJ Shop hosted one because the next legacy tournament at Kick Engines will be on 19th June. 

ARJ Shop
Molino Mall, Molino, Cavite
7 May 2016

We had it four rounds. Instead of thinking of winning the event, I will take this as an opportunity as part of my grind for the second asian GP legacy. I arrived at the venue four hours ahead of the scheduled start. I did not wait for long because the second legacy player came. I asked him if he wanted to do a little warm up games, he agreed. He's on RUG, we played a total of five games in which I only got games one and four. Here are the reasons why I dropped games two, three and five:

- Turn two (game two) and three (game five), Ad Naus flips were terrible and as a result, I lost two of  three games. I only managed to reveal one initial mana source in each games (two and five) despite having 11 of them (4 LED, 4 Petal and 3 Mox).
- For game three, Wasteland and a wall of counter magic were too much for me to handle.

And for games one and four:
- Game one, summoned a dozen of 1/1 goblin tokens in my turn one after opening the game with a Gitaxian Probe.
- Game four, used his counter magic to fuel my storm count. Wish into TOA for the win.

An hour after our play test, round one pairings was up. Here were my match-up results.

Belcher 2-1
RUG 1-2
Merfolk 0-2
Esper 2-0   

Against the Belcher, game three was needed because both of our wins were on "no interaction mode." Game three was different. I was on the play and my opening seven: two fetches, 2 Duress, 1 Cabal Therapy, Gitaxian Probe and LED. I paused and think for a moment, will I mull for a turn one or two win? Or will I do defensive stops then win after these - I picked the latter. My disrupt spells realy kept him at bay and on my turn five, I naturally drew into Ad naus and win from there. Esper was my fourth round assignment. Timely disrupt spells protected both of my wins against Esper. Also, this is the only time where my Ad Naus flips were not as bad as I had against RUG and Merfolk.

And speaking of RUG and Merfolk, I had a combined 1-4 record against them. All four losses were from a failed Ad Nauseam flips. I even took an unfamiliar route: Wish to PiF to Wish (the one I discarded from LED cracking) to DP <I have to fetch it because aside from I was a punch away from his school of fish, wish was the 8th storm and DP was 9th> and eventually I ended with a mob of goblins because I fell short of black mana for TOA. Islandwalk gets there before I do. Against RUG, (game three) I took Ad Nauseam route from 18 and fizzled because there's no initial mana source again. I am so sad panda.

Before going home, I asked Glenn Diga for a quick play test. We had it four games and only won a game. I am aware of his kobold combo deck but I do not know how it works. I discarded wrong cards and as a result, he was still able to pull his combo. Moral lesson: try to do a more careful examination of the cards presented before picking what to bin. 

And just in case you're looking for any legacy tournaments:

*June 11
Wabshaq
Casimiro, Las PiƱas 
Eternal Master at stake

June 19     
Kick Engines
Cubao Expo, Cubao, Quezon City
Eternal Master at stake

*- tentative date. Will update this once I get the info from Wabshaq.

Lastly, I sleeved the same 74 of 75 of Cook's list except one in the main board, less ETW plus one (3rd) Duress. 

There you have it folks, thank you for reading!

- Paeng Paeng
(on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment