Saturday 6 August 2022

MODERN: MONO BLACK SIX-RACKS


MTGO Modern League
5 August 2022

Match ups
RD 1 Boros Burn w
RD 2 Living End L
RD 3 Glimpse Elemental Combo L
RD 4 UB Murktide L
RD 5 Yorion elemental Deck L
 
RD 1 Boros Burn
Game one: I lost the race to three Monastery Swiftspears, an Eidolon, and bolts. 

Games two and three: Urza's Saga fetching Elixir of Immortality, twice, won me the game. 

RD 2 Living End
The opponent simply responded by casting a Violent Outburst before my Go Blank resolves. 

RD 3 Glimpse Elemental Combo
Game three: The opponent was down to three life points when he top decked Violent Outburst into Glimpse of Tomorrow and was lucky to find a disenchant-creature that reads "comes into play destroy target The Rack". I was hoping to top deck another The Rack or its black enchantment sibling, but to no avail.

RD 4 UB Murktide
The opponent summoned the blue MH2 dragon on his second turn in both games. The opponent was able to do that because he had two fetchlands, a Thought Scour, cards milled off that blue instant card, and two Street Wraiths. Nice! I was not able to kill the dragon because it was well protected by counter spells. 

RD 5 Yorion Elementals
Game one: Wrench Mind and Raven's Crime versus Wrenn and Six is not a favorable game plan for the home team. 

Game two: The opponent has a turn two Chalice for one. My hand had a ton of one-casting cost discard spells. And by the time I started drawing Ensnaring Bridges, the opponent already had answers like Prismatic Ending and Teferi Time Raveler. 
  
I think the deck can win against today's meta. Looking back at those five games, I am pretty sure there were lines of play that if only I have enough experience with the deck, I could have won it. Because I still have faith in the deck and I need to gain more experience with it, I gave Eight-Racks another chance. I brought the same seventy-five to the next modern events. 


Madcap Gaming
San Pedro, Laguna
6 August 2022

Match ups
RD 1 UWr Yorion Control W
RD 2 Grix Death's Shadow W
RD 3 Amulet Titan L

RD 1 UWr Yorion Control
Early discard spells (Kozilek of Inquisition, Thoughtseizes, two Wrench Minds, and Raven's Crime's retrace ability) and Urza’s Saga fetching the deck's main win condition dictated the flow of the game. 

RD 2 Grix Death's Shadow
Ensnaring Bridge was already on the table but I needed to have an empty hand (because at that moment I had two cards in hand) or lose to a dash Ragavan (I was down to two life points). Then I top decked Wrench Mind; aimed it to myself, discard the two cards (Thoughsiezes) then pass the turn with no cards in hand. The opponent had a team consisting of 3/5 bird, 2/1 monkey, and a 7/7 Death's Shadow. Urza's Saga eventually fetched The Rack and it slowly ate his life points away. 

RD 3 Amulet Titan
Game three: I had no cards in hand and had the following on the table: two Ensnaring bridges, three The Racks effects, and eight Swamps. The opponent made sure he always has three to four cards in hand.

This is how the opponent won the game: top decked that 2/4 green nymph. Summoned it. Gave all lands every land type. Did a land drop for the turn (a bounce land and float its colors because he has an Amulet of Vigor on the table). Trigger two Valakuts, deals six. Returned the same bounce land. Land drop the same land via that green nymph’s ability. Valakut triggers a new, another six damage. Float the colors again. Used them to summon Asusa into two new extra land drops. Valakut killed me there. That was neat. 
    

Hobbyist United 
Muntinlupa City
6 August 2022

Match ups
RD 1 Amulet Titan W
RD 2 Rakdos midrange W
RD 3 UW Hammer W
RD 4 UW Hammer W
RD 5 Borus Burn W

RD 1 Amulet Titan
The same third-round opponent from Madcap's event. But this time, I made sure he was not holding any relevant cards in hand. Bloodchief's Thirst controlled the population of his early construct tokens. Wrench Minds and multiple Raven's Crime via retrace casting cost plus The Rack effects won me the game.

RD 2 Rakdos Midrange
One casting cost discard spells, Go Blank, and Nihil Spellbomb were the key cards that controlled the opponent's tempo. Urza's Saga fetching The Rack won me the game. 

RD 3 UW Hammer
Game three: I think the opponent was thrown off his tempo because of three reasons: (i) used Funeral Charm's +2/-1 at his Inkmoth Nexus in response to the equip trigger of Sigarda's Aid; (ii) two Break the Ice cards destroyed his two Urza's Sagas; and (iii) casting Bontu's Last Reckoning to eliminate all of his creatures. Urza's Saga fetching The Rack won me the game. 
 
RD 4 UW Hammer
Discard spells such as Wrench Minds, Kozilek of Inquisitions, multiple usages of Raven's Crime's retrace, and Ensnaring Bridge dictated the tempo of the game. 

RD 5 Borus Burn  
The opponent mulled in both games. Mulled to four game one. Mulled to five in game two.  

I am pretty impressed with the performance of my six-Racks. 

 
Here's the seventy-five by the way.

6-Racks
Main deck
19 Swamp
4 Urza's Saga
1 Castle Locthwain  
4 Thoughtseize 
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Raven's Crime
4 Wrench Mind 
2 Funeral Charm
1 Collective Brutality
4 Liliana of the Veil
2 Bloodchief's Thirst
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 Bontu's Last Reckoning
1 Nihil Spellbomb 
4 The Rack
2 Shrieking Affliction 

Sideboard 
1 Shatter Assumptions
2 Go Blank 
3 Break the Ice 
1 Bontu's Last Reckoning 
3 Leyline of the Void
2 Feed the Swarm
1 Hex Parasite
1 Pithing Needle
1 Elixir of Immortality

This is all for now. 
Thank you for reading.

Paeng_Paeng 

No comments:

Post a Comment