Modern FNM @ OHS
Vito Cruz, Manila
07 August 2026
RD 1 UR Cutter Prowess win
RD 2 UR Cutter Prowess win
RD 3 5c Domain ID
Modern @ Pacquiao Mansions
hosted by Mana Underground
Makati City
16 August 2026
RD 1 Boros Burn loss
RD 2 Rhinos win
RD 3 Amulet Titan loss
RD 4 Esper Ketra loss
RD 5 UR Cutter Prowess win
drop
hosted by CardPro Hobbies
SMX SM Aura, Taguig City
21 August 2026
RD 1 UR Cutter Prowess loss
RD 2 UR Cutter Prowess loss
RD 3 Domain Draco loss
drop
It's been a while since I last played GW Bogles, so I decided to give the deck another spin this August 2026. Here are the things that I can still remember from the mentioned above events.
Seventy-one players (August 16th event), seven rounds of swiss, what an incredible tournament experience in this time of age. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the race as the rain kept on pouring. After my fifth match, I decided to head home.
I hate it when my opening seven does not have a bogle in it. And speaking of that, mulliganing three times in a deciding semifinal game of an RCQ is a nightmare to experience.
Speaking of opening seven hand, I also do not like seeing three to four bogles in it. Two bogles in an opening hand is just right.
Another sad story with bogles is not drawing into a bogle creature after the opponent successfully killed the one (especially in game ones).
I thought Sanctifier en-Vec was good versus UR Cutter Prowess until it returned back to my hand by a blue bounce spell.
Some prowess decks has Pick Your Poison in their fifteen. And when the opponent used it, I sacrificed Rancor.
I almost lost a round against a Cutter Prowess opponent simply because I decided to attack one of my two creatures, a 9/8 Slippery Bogle, in front of two of his creatures (a Slickshot Show-Off and a Monastery Swiftspear); leaving only Silhana Ledgewalker with Spider Umbra as blocker. After the opponent did his math, he simply said "take".
I immediately realized my mistake after writing down the damage dealt by the bogle. The opponent could still win by reaching twelve points through any combination of Lightning Bolts, Lava Darts, and/or cantrips with prowess triggers. Fortunately, luck was on my side because the opponent was a spell short of dealing lethal damage.
In contrast, in another game against a UR Cutter Prowess deck, I think the correct play was to hold on Silhana instead of attacking. If my math are correct, I could have at least turned the game in my favor by not swinging the 7/6 flying, lifelink, first strike, and reach Silahana Ledgewalker into the opponent's army: three monk and a 3/3 flying DRC.
Whenever I face a prowess deck, I always hear Mr. Sonogen's golden advice: "prowess will not win if it has no creatures on the table". That's why I picked Celestial Purge, Path to Exile, and Solitude over Deafening Silence and High Noon against UR Cutter Prowess.
A timely Wear/Tear by the Boros Burn team targeting my lifegain aura won him the round.
Other than Solitude, Path to Exile, and Celestial Purge, I had no answer to an indestructible 4/4 Ketramose. To make matters worse, a nightmare situation unfolded this round when the opponent had a turn one Thoughtseize and took the only creature in my hand.
I lost my first three rounds at my last event. In the first round, I did not draw any of my lifegain auras. I had to mulligan to three in my second round. And in the third, the opponent had the Wear/Tears for my key enchantments.
Probably my favorite match from this post was against the Amulet Titan. I really thought I had game one after my 12/10 first strike, lifelink bogle survived an onslaught beating from four creatures: two 17/17 Cultivator Colossus and two 6/6 prime times.
That's all for now. I hope to see you again in the November and December modern events.
Thank you for reading.



No comments:
Post a Comment