Saturday 22 September 2018

SEPTEMBER 2018: Mono Blue Merfolk


Originally, I was 100% sure of going to the RPTQ modern if in case I win an invite from any of the remaining modern PPTQs. Unfortunately, after getting stranded in Hong Kong for a few days due to force majeure, not to mentioned that plane tickets bound to either Kuala Lumpur or Taipei are getting more expensive as the day go by, I am not pursing anymore that RPTQ dream because the allotted budget for the said event is now gone. And since we are now down to the last days of modern PPTQ, September 22nd and 23rd, I think it is just fitting to play my last 2018 modern PPTQ where I first won it - at MDP. 

Donya Soledad, Bicutan
22 September 2018

Mono Blue Merfolk
Main deck
15 Island, 4 Mutavault 

4 Aether Vial, 4 Spreading Seas, 2 Spell Pierce

4 Lord of Atlantis, 4 Master of the Pearl Trident, 3 Merrow Reejerey, 2 Master of Waves, 4 Curesecatcher, 4 Silvergill Adept, 1 Phantasmal Image, 1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner, 4 Merfolk Trickster, 4 Harbinger of The Tides

Sideboard
4 Relic of Progenitus, 3 Gut Shot, 3 Negate, 3 Ceremonious Rejection, 2 Dispel

Tron 2-1
Humans 2-1
UW Control 2-0 
Tron 2-1
Abzan 1-2
UW Spirits ID

Q: Bant Spirits 2-1
S: Elves
F: UW Spirits 1-2
(6-2-1)  (14-7)

Notes:
I had several lapses like missing Merrow Reejerey's trigger off a merfolk spell. Missed some window of opportunity to tap (or untapped) some of his creautres. And miscounted some of the plus-plus count off the lords to another lord.

The combination and interaction of Merrow Reejerey, Merfolk Trickster, and Harbinger of the Tides won me several games against aggro decks. 

Against Spirits, there were times that I had to cast something (a bait spell, most of them were lord spells) before doing a land drop into Spreading Seas. Such maneuver is crucial because I was protecting my blue enchantment from their golden 2/3 flying flash creature. 

Kira, Great Glass-Spinner and Master of Waves were not big factors in this tournament. Phantasmal Image, however, was for he was like the ninth lord at two casting cost.

You should learn to swim with only two or three merfolks for you do not want your school to get blown with a single card (Engeneered Explosives, Damnation, Terminus, Wrath of God, Supreme Verdict, and the like). 

Always save those Ceremonious Rejection for artifact cards that hurt Merfolk a lot such as Oblivion Stone, Karn Liberated, All is Dust, Walking Ballista, Engineered Explosives, and other colorless cards (Ensnaring Bridge is one) that I forgot to mention which merfolk really hates. Negate, on the other hand, for those colored hate cards.



I thought I was going to make a back to back MDP modern PPTQ win; unfortunately I drew bricks in my last three turns in the rubber match against UW Spirits in the finals.

Thank you very much for reading guys! I hope to see you in the next eternal tournaments around the Metro. 

Tiyo Paeng
6214089146

No comments:

Post a Comment